We received this enquiry from an Australian manufacturer of machinery, used in the paper industry. The load cell was required to measure the force applied by a heated roller, by measuring at the roller tensioning points.
The customer needed the load cell to be as low profile as possible, it needed to have a high level of sealing (to at least IP67) and it needed to work in an environment that was often wet, but with radiated temperatures of upto 100°C. The design of the load cell was made more difficult as a Ø31mm hole was needed, to pass the tensioning bolts through.
The main criteria we were given was as follows:
- The load cell had to be low profile (<30mm high)
- The load cell was to used in compression, but a Ø31mm centre hole was essential
- Environmental protection needed to be IP67 or better
- The environment varied from wet to dry and the temperature varied from 10°C to 100°C
- Due to the environment, corrosion resistance was an important attribute
- 1te High Temperature Load Cell
- Low profile, only 25.4mm high
- Manufactured from 17-4PH stainless steel, offering high corrosion resistance
- Suitable for use to 100°C
- Supplied calibrated, with a calibration certificate, traceable to UKAS
- Through hole design
- Welded construction, offering IP68 sealing
The LCM2453 load cell was an interesting design. It highlighted some of the problems that occur with annular load cells, which are not often the most accurate of load cells, where there are height restrictions. Add to this the relatively low capacity, high temperature and environmental sealing; then that really set a challenge!
As you can see from the calibration certificates for these load cells, we managed to achieve a pretty good accuracy (if we are allowed to brag!). Since we manufactured this product, we have had several other similar designs that have all performed equally as well. More importantly, they have enabled customers to satisfy there challenging measurement requirements.
LCM Systems manufacture a large and varied range of custom design and standard product variant compression load cells. These have been supplied as 1off products, or as part of an instrumentation system. Many of these products are supplied with built in analogue signal conditioning, digital outputs or with wireless telemetry.
Please contact us to discuss any special compression load cell requirements you may have.