The enquiry for this load cell was initially received by telephone, following a review of the products we had available on our website. The enquiry was from a well known and large oil rig and offshore platform manufacture, based in the United Arab Emirates.
Their requirement was for 250te shackle load cells for a particular forthcoming project. However, due to budget constraints, they needed the solution to offer versatility for any future projects, so that the load cells could be re-used.
The main criteria we were given was as follows:
- The load cell had to be a shackle style load cell.
- Their preference was was a wide body shackle, or sling saver shackle.
- The construction had to be robust for use in an offshore and heavy industrial environment.
- Had to be manufactured with using a high quality shackle, with full traceability
- The requirement was for 4off shackles. They wanted them supplied for use with a single display, with all 4 load cells summed.
- They also wanted to be able to use the shackles individually, with a battery powered display
- 250te Bow Load Shackle
- All four shackles were also calibrated with a TR150 to display the summed load
- Each shackle was supplied with our TR150 handheld battery powered display
- Existing shackle pin used
- Greenpin Wide Body Shackle
- Integral connector with 10m mating cable assembly. The connector was also field wireable
- Robust construction, offering IP68 sealing
- The complete system was supplied fully calibrated and issued with certificates, traceable to UKAS
The LCM3503 was designed using the standard SHK-B load cell as the basis of the product. Using our experience, which has been gained from more than 25 years experience in manufacturing load cells for harsh environments, we were able to have this custom product designed and manufactured in 5 weeks.
The LCM3503 is typical of many of the custom design products we manufacture, in that, our client identified a standard product from our range, which they thought would almost met their requirements. In discussing these requirements with our Engineers, we ensured it did.
LCM Systems offer a wide range of standard shackle load cells and also have an extensive selection of custom design versions, which could also be used to satisfy other applications. Many of these products are supplied with our TR150 handheld battery powered indicator, with built in analogue signal conditioning, digital outputs or with wireless telemetry.
We have manufactured shackle load cells based on many different shackle manufacturers' products, including; Crosby, Van-Beest, GN Rope to name a few.