An enquiry was received from a regular customer operating in the heavy lift industry. They were looking for a Centre of Gravity system (COG) that could be used in a variety of weighing applications.
A custom version of the popular CPA compression load cell was offered, rated to 250 tonnes and supplied complete with base plate and load cap for optimal accuracy. The requirement was for 10 load cells with individual handheld displays, but the customer wanted to be able to use any display with any of the load cells. To achieve this, the load cell design incorporated a TEDs chip, which holds information such as model, serial number and calibration settings. This allows the load cells and handheld displays to be interchangeable, saving time and increasing system functionality. They can also be used or other measurement applications when not being used as part of the COG system.
A tablet display was also supplied as part of the system that showed the load on each load cell, the total load and the centre of gravity point.
For the first application, the COG system was used to weigh and transport 12 pipe rack modules with differing weights of up to 430 tonnes. The system proved to be instrumental in the successful lifting and transportation of the pipe rack modules.
Future use of the COG system will mainly be for determining the centre of gravity of ship to shore (container) cranes when they are taken out of service for maintenance purposes.
The customer was very happy with the system’s performance, and have since gone on to order additional Centre of Gravity systems.
The main criteria we were given was as follows:
- 10 x 250 tonne compression load cells
- One handheld display per load cell required, but each load cell must be able to be used with any handheld
- Tablet PC with customised 8 channel COG software showing individual load cell weight, total combined weight and centre of gravity
- Each load cell must be supplied in its own wooden crate for ease of transportation
- To be supplied with a mounting base for simple installation
- Environmental protection needed to be IP67
- 250te Compression Load Cell
- Centre of gravity system
- Customised 8 chanel COG software
- Each load cell supplied with a TR150 handheld display
- Environmentally sealed to IP67
- Load Cell manufactured from 17-4PH stainless steel
- Supplied with base plate and load cap
- TEDS enabled
The customer wanted to purchase these load cells for a Centre of Gravity system, but also wanted additional functionality by having the option to use the load cells for other weighing applications when not in use as part of the COG system. For this reason, in addition to the COG software and tablet display, they wanted each load cell to be supplied with a handheld display. They also didn't want to have to worry about finding the calibrated TR150 display for the individual load cell, prefering to be able to pick out any load cell and any display. To accomodate this, each load cell was fitted with a TEDs chip that holds the calibration details, allowing it to be paired with any indicator.