This enquiry originated from one of our long standing customers, who are a leading sensor distributor and manufacturer. The original enquiry was received in 1998, where a quantity of 24 load cells were supplied. A further order for 30 pieces was received in 2008.
The enquiry was initially for our standard CPA series load cell. Following further discussions with the customer, we were made aware that they were to be used with hydraulic cylinders, as part of a large offshore structure jacking system. We were able to suggest a modified version of the standard product to suit the final use. The discussions went a stage further, with us also supplying a complete centre of gravity instrumentation system, with bespoke PC software.
The main criteria we were given was as follows:
- Had to be used with a specific Enerpac Cylinder
- The load cells had to be easy to mount on and remove from the cylinder
- A spherical load cap was required to align any angluar loading scenarios. The cap had to be restrained for safety
- Environmental protection needed to be IP67 minimum
- Accuracy to be <±0.25%
- Full stainless steel construction essential
- Full mutli-point calibration required with full traceability
- 200te Compression Load Cell
- Cover and mounting base manufactured from 316 stainless steel
- Direct mounting onto a standard Enerpac hydraulic cylinder
- Environmentally sealed to IP68
- Integral carry handles for comfortable handling
- Integral connector for quick and easy commissioning
- Integral load cap with retaining system
- Load Cell had full welded construction
- Mounted to Enerpac cylinder
- Supplied calibrated, with a calibration certificate, traceable to UKAS
The main challenge with this load cell design was the quantity ordered, the amount of component parts required in the load cell construction and the lead time required. We achieved a delivery time of 6 weeks, including design, manufacture and final testing. This met the customers project requirements in full.
This special load cell design is a perfect example of the type of load cell we excel in manufacturing and the type of service that our client base requires; where a standard product is identified as almost meeting their requirements. With some adaptation and with advice from LCM engineers (where required), we can usually derive a product that ideally suits their requirements. Generally, this approach adds no extra cost or only a minimal extra cost to the standard load cell price, but quite often offers reductions in the client's overall costs.
LCM Systems manufacture a large and varied range of custom design and standard product variant compression load cells. These have been supplied as 1off products, or as part of an instrumentation system. Many of these products are supplied with built in analogue signal conditioning, digital outputs or with wireless telemetry.
Please contact us to discuss any special compression load cell requirements you may have.