The initial enquiry was received through our website from a multi-national marine engineering company, based in Canada. They had seen our standard TELSHACK-B product, but it did not suit their requirements precisely.
They liked the principle of a wireless telemetry shackle, but wanted to measure ship docking tension on a winch and the load cell had to handled by one person. This was hard to achieve with a conventional shackle, when the measurement range is 85te. A more compact solution was needed.
The main criteria we were given was as follows:
- The load cell had to be a shackle style load cell
- It had to be light enough for a single operator to lift manually.
- The construction had to be robust for use in an offshore and heavy industrial environment.
- Full traceability was required on all materials.
- The solution had to be wireless, to eliminate trailing cables
- 85te Tonsberg Mooring Link
- A handheld battery powered display was supplied, with a gross/net facility
- Load link and shackle hybrid
- Mooring tension measurement
- Rubust construction, offering IP67 sealing
- Stainless steel load pin
- The complete system was supplied fully calibrated and issued with certificates, traceable to UKAS
- The wireless telemetry housing was constructed from stainless steel
The LCM3782 was designed using the standard wireless products used in our TELSHACK-B wireless shackle load cell as the basis of the product. Using our experience, which has been gained from more than 25 years experience in manufacturing load cells for harsh environments and with wireless telemetry incorporated, we were able to produce a product that met all of the customers requirements.
The LCM3782 is typical of many of the custom design products we manufacture, in that, our client identified a standard product from our range, which they thought would almost met their requirements. In discussing these requirements with our Engineers, we ensured it did.
LCM Systems offer a wide range of standard shackle load cells and also have an extensive selection of custom design versions, which could also be used to satisfy other applications. Many of these products are supplied with our TR150 handheld battery powered indicator, with built in analogue signal conditioning, digital outputs or with wireless telemetry.
We have manufactured shackle load cells based on many different shackle manufacturers' products, including; Crosby, Van-Beest, GN Rope to name a few.